Backstory: I used to have Breez Lightning Wallet set up in Damus to ZAP people’s Notes. It was awesome until Apple forced Damus to remove the ZAP on Notes functionality. The below is a workaround to be able to ZAP Notes in the Damus client for Nostr, using Damus TestFlight, Toggle Zaps in Damus, Alby Lighting Wallet, Alby Nostr Wallet Connect (NWC), and Zapple Pay.
Overview: Workaround to make ZAPs happen in Damus
- On Damus, you’ll see some people already have a gray lightning ZAP icon on their Note with the number of sats listed. This is because that Note was ZAP’d from another Nostr client (Amethyst, Snort, etc) or they used the workaround listed below.
- To ZAP someone’s Note, you must type an emoji in a reaction/reply to their Note, then click Post. The emoji triggers Zapple Pay to send sats. The emoji is chosen in Zapple Pay (default is the “hang loose” emoji). Zapple Pay sends sats from your Alby Lighting Wallet to your Damus reaction/reply.
Alby and Damus
- Set up Alby Web Account
- Set up Alby Lightning Wallet Chrome browser extension
- Connect Alby in Damus Wallet [VIDEO] How to: Connect Damus to Alby ⚡ 1-tap-zaps in Nostr mobile apps https://www.youtube.com/shorts/E9c3X3oE05c
- Since I’d already created my PUBLIC and PRIVATE Nostr keys when I first set up Damus, I only needed to add my Nostr PRIVATE key to the Alby Lightning Wallet browser extension (Account > Account settings > Key Management > Nostr Settings).
- Don’t forget to back up your recovery phrase!
- Note: There’s a lot more to do to set up Alby. Pay close attention to Alby’s instructions.
- Download Damus TestFlight: https://testflight.apple.com/join/CLwjLxWl
- Damus not installed yet? Download and install
- Damus already installed? Click Install anyway (the pop-up text says it’s the TestFlight version)
- Once Damus TestFlight has been installed…
- Go to Toggle Zaps in Damus (it’s a Zap nostrscript for Damus from Suhail): https://nostrscript.suhailsaqan.com/, then click “Yes”
Create a new Alby Nostr Wallet Connect (NWC) Connection Key specifically for Zapple Pay
Alby Nostr Wallet Connect (NWC)
- Click “New connection”
- Give it a Connection Name (ie: Zapple Pay)
- Click “Confirm”
- Set limits/permissions: Budget amount; Current usage; Renewal timeframe
- Click “Reveal Pairing Secret” to get “nostr+walletconnect://275…” to paste into the “nwc connection string” field in Zapple Pay.
- ALERT: the Pairing Secret gets revealed only once, when you first create the Nostr Wallet Connect (NWC) app connection. This Pairing Secret is what you need to paste into the “nwc connection string” field in Zapple Pay.
- npub is found in Damus profile
- “nwc connection string” is found only once, when first creating a Nostr Wallet Connect (NWC) app connection at https://nwc.getalby.com/
- Click SAVE
- If all goes well, Zapple Pay will automatically direct message you in Damus with the following message: “You have configured Zapple Pay to zap 21 sats anytime you react to a note with a [“hang loose”] emoji!”
GIANT THANK YOU to the following Nostr peeps:
- satokespeare (npub132vp7xhrl2enqz65338jqe2vkrcax5zf339kdpymw059gcqpmjsq6fm80g)
- suhail (npub1k92qsr95jcumkpu6dffurkvwwycwa2euvx4fthv78ru7gqqz0nrs2ngfwd)